The Raspberry is finally installed ! I just bought the model B+ because it has 4 USB ports, and as I will need 2 for the Wifi and the Webcam, I needed 2 more for the keyboard and mousse for programming the PI 🙂
The model B+ has also 4 mounting holes, which is perfect pour the fixations and it consumes less than the previous model (around 150mA). However I will need to replace the USB and Ethernet connectors which don’t fit in the hood by pin row connectors 😉
I also mounted the mini USB of the STM32 on the top, which is much more easier for programming…
Now I can continue with the final step : The head
I finally finished the integration of the boards inside the body ! It took a little more time than I thought but I wanted the most reliable solution.
For the fixation I will use a carbon fiber support (which I will machine with my CNC). This support will also reinforce the body’s structure 😉 and so far, everything is fitting well inside so I hope it will be the same for the head…
However, I still have to integrate the Raspebby Pi, which will be placed above the STM32.
Rear view with STM32
Top view with STM32
Side cut view
So, the next step is to put the Pi inside and then begin the head design.
I spent the last week on the electronic design. I finished all the boards except the one for the Pi. All the schematics and PCBs are made on Altium Designer.
I also received all the components \o/ so now I can check a last time that all the footprints are correct.
The next step is to send the gerber files of the boards for manufacturing. I’m hesitating between 2 manufacturers : OSH Park and Seeed Studio PCB. I think I will go with OSH Park (previously Batch PCB) because they have a better quality even if they are a bit more expensive than Seeed Studio PCB.
Now I have the boards, I can continue the work on the integration of the boards into the robot and the design of the head.