It’s been few months now since I started the design and it is approaching the end \o/. The main body and legs are finally done, but I still have to do a final check of tolerances, clearances, cabling , mounting, etc.. before sending the parts for productions. As mentioned earlier, the design is very close to Rev2, however, the internal structure has been improved to be more rigid and more reliable. On Rev2, I had too much flexibility between parts and torsion on the body (due to the 5 parts body assembly) which basically ruined everything… The legs axles have also been redesigned or better performance and the legs will be equipped with a separate End-Cap (ground contact) with a rubber part to increase adherence.
So, hopefully I overcome all these issues with this version 😀
The ear design is also done and I think it gives a pretty nice look to the robot ! It will gives Animabot much more expression capabilities and at the end it doesn’t look to organic and not too mechanic either which I find to be a good compromise. In any case, it is difficult to make a functional machine looking organic when you have to install real motors, joints, PCBs, cables, etc..
I still have the dock to do, So this will be the next task…
Hi all ! In order to wait for the real one, here are some rendering of the last version.
As you can see the tibias have been modified, same for the air vent of the head and the hood. The hood is now attached to the body with 4 small magnets (instead of screws).
Hi there !
Look at my new air vents !
Banana for scale…
Banana for scale…
(I hope in reality Animabot will look as good as in the renderings…)
Later all 🙂
I finally finished the design of Animabot !
Front side view
Rear side view
Cut view body
Cut view body 2
The next step is to prepare the parts for printing, then I will continue the boards tests and prepare all the cables which are inside the beast 😉
Anyway, a big step has been made !
┏(-_-)┛ ┗(-_- )┓ ┗(-_-)┛ ┏(-_-)┓
It has been a long time since the last post… I have been pretty busy with my job but I have not forgotten Animabot 😉
Few weeks ago I received my boards but there were some mistakes I had to correct… some of the tracks were in contact with the ground plane due to bugs in the Gerber generation…
And I also discovered some issues in the design, so I decided to redo the boards ! I should receive them next week 🙂
In the meantime I worked on the head, I have now an encouraging first version, but I’m not convinced of the “webcam hood” so I will do a second “smother” version 😉
But, in any way I figured out how to integrate the servo for the head rotation, and it seems to works pretty well…
Here is the actual state of Animabot :
Head front view
Head right side view
Head left side view
Internal head gear system
I still have work to do : fix everything inside the head, divide the head in 2 parts for the print/assembly, etc…
He doesn’t look so bad… what do you think ?
The Raspberry is finally installed ! I just bought the model B+ because it has 4 USB ports, and as I will need 2 for the Wifi and the Webcam, I needed 2 more for the keyboard and mousse for programming the PI 🙂
The model B+ has also 4 mounting holes, which is perfect pour the fixations and it consumes less than the previous model (around 150mA). However I will need to replace the USB and Ethernet connectors which don’t fit in the hood by pin row connectors 😉
I also mounted the mini USB of the STM32 on the top, which is much more easier for programming…
Now I can continue with the final step : The head
I finally finished the integration of the boards inside the body ! It took a little more time than I thought but I wanted the most reliable solution.
For the fixation I will use a carbon fiber support (which I will machine with my CNC). This support will also reinforce the body’s structure 😉 and so far, everything is fitting well inside so I hope it will be the same for the head…
However, I still have to integrate the Raspebby Pi, which will be placed above the STM32.
Rear view with STM32
Top view with STM32
Side cut view
So, the next step is to put the Pi inside and then begin the head design.
I didn’t advanced much on the Solidworks Design because I need the size and shape of the PCBs I have to integrate…
Animabot will be composed of 5 PCBs in addition to the Raspberry Pi and the STM32 :
- Power Supply Board
- Li-Ion Charger
- STM32 Board Adapter
- Raspberry Pi Board Adapter
I’m using Altium Designer for the Electronic design, I know that it is a complicated software for the boards I have to do, but I am used to it (I used it previously with my first Hexapod and at my school). For the moment I’m spending a lot of time creating the components and footprints I have… so not very funny…
However, I will create the 4 others PCBs in the next few days to be able to put them into Animabot.
Top PCB View
Front IR view
I also put an Infrared sensor on the front of the robot, so he will be able to avoid falling in the stairways or from a table 😉