After so many weeks of waiting, all Animabot’s parts are finally home !!!
I decided to start with the lower body assembly and then working the way up to the head. The legs will be the last parts to be mounted because I need to redo the PCB and the PCB should be mounted before the legs 😀 this, and also because I didn’t find the courage yet to disassemble the current version yet
The first I did was to check if the motherboard and the servos were properly fitting inside and yes they do! So from this, I started by mounting the screws inserts in place ( by using a soldering iron, then pressing gently them in the hole). Once this step done, I continued with the buttons on the rear panel which are inserted and glued (easy peasy) and placed the dust grid behind the air vents. To install them, I also used the soldering iron and kind of “soldered” to the inner side of the body (melted both together), the result is not particularly aesthetic but it’s easy and durable !
Rear Panel Connections
Rear panel connections
Motherboard placement check
Below the battery, is mounted the dock connector constituted of 2 concentric copper rings (no polarity inversion possible !) and also the dock sensor which is basically a simple magnetic switch (Reed switch). All this is isolated from the battery with some Kapton tape. Last but not least, the IR Telemeter is now fiercely mounted on the front. The switch on the very bottom is the battery kill switch which allows me to completely disconnect the battery from the system …. just in case… 😀
Rear Panel Test
Dock Connector and Reed switch
Next Step will be the upper body 😉
Good news ! The body parts are done and on the way ! I’m really exited to see how Animabot will come along once assembled. For the moment, I’m still writing and testing the drivers of the Motherboard and testing all components…. So hopefully, within few weeks I will finish this, send a new motherboard to production and integrate it.
Now, let’s enjoy the beauty of SLA 3D printing with smooth finish :
Lower & Upper Body Interior
Some internal parts
He is gonna be AWESOME !!!!
The mechanical design is finished since few weeks, but I have been waiting some sample of the leg to check the tolerances, quality and color. This sample allowed to check the passage of the cable in the Coxa, the Tibia Cap (anti-slippery pad), servo mounting, etc..
I’m glad I ask I did that before the complete manufacturing because I found several issues. The passage for the cable needed to be deeper to protect it, the Pad was too small to hold in place properly and the color did not satisfied me totally… I’m still waiting for some more sample to compare and chose the final color !
Hopefully the samples will arrive soon, so I can order all the parts to assemble Animabot !
It’s been a while since the last post… mostly because my new job is taking away most of my time…
But also because I had to fix several issues in Anima before mounting the legs and the upper body. First I had to fix the sound problem, curiously the IR sensor was generating noise which was propagated up to the audio amplifier, thus generating audible noise… To fix it I added to capacitors (100nF & 10µF) on the sensor’s power connection. Then I burned the Li-ion charger 😦 so I had to replace some mosfet and add some heatsinks.
Finally after 20 months of design, tests, doubts, bug fix, etc… Animabot is assembled and ready to walk !!!
Stay tuned 😉
Hello ! The assembly of Animabot is going well, I have almost finished 🙂 I’m mostly making cables and cables… Thinking about how I’m gonna put all of them into the body… But anyway, I’m also testing the electronic and everything is also fine up to now: Audio amp and speakers, IR telemeter, fan, Night LED, temperature sensor and power monitor and the ATX Raspi are working !!!
The Rapsi is also much thinner without all these big connectors 🙂 but I have some issues with the WIFI dongle and I need to test the webcam.
So I put all the parts together to see if all goes well, and for now it’s look like this :
Power ON baby !
I like it ! even if the parts are not perfect as I would like, and even if the design is full of errors, it doesn’t look so bad 🙂
More update soon 😉
Hello ! Good news, the first leg prototype is now assembled 😀 I have printed a tibia and a coxa in order to see if the parts can be well-printed before going to mass production. I had to modify a bit the coxa to pass the cable inside (now it should be ok) and also the tibia (only the design for a better look). I still have some tests to run but I think the parts are ready to be printed 😉
Leg Tibia Prototype
Leg Tibia Prototype
All femur parts
Stay tuned !
Hello ! Another update about the print process. I have successfully printed the femur parts and I will soon begin the assembly 🙂 I finally have good settings for the print supports, so hopefully everything should go well now 😉
Femur inside view
The femur is composed of 3 parts: The front and back covers are screwed to the servos and the middle shell is maintained with 4 metal rods.